Thursday 21 February 2019

Nayu's Craft Time #304 Social Media and Me

No idea of this image's origins.

Winter weather is continuing on, with the temperature ever so slowly increasing but not yet enough for my body to get out of hibernation mode.. I'm taking things very easy, mostly gaming at the moment, which if you follow me on Twitter you'll know all about! I usually hop around with games but this week I'm mostly engrossed with The Legend of Legacy for the Nintendo 3DS, which I will talk more about over on Nayu's Reading Corner soon. Craft isn't really happening until I have more energy.

This post is about which social media I use and why. Yesterday I looked into switching the tablet I use Twitter on (I have a few tablets, some hand me downs, not all bought by me). The one I was using is getting quite old, getting much slower, and the camera isn't at all great. If it was going to be a long process, I decided I would leave it until a later date. Surprisingly it was a matter of downloading the Twitter app and logging into it. It took less than 5 minutes! The camera is much better, I now have more space to download images to the tablet, and it's faster than my aging tablet. Success all around! 

While I'm on Facebook, and somehow some posts get automatically posted despite me no longer having a membership with Hootsuite which put posts on Twitter and Facebook for me, I am not really using my Facebook account. It has always been more effort to get into as I do not use a dedicated FB app, simply using it on my laptop. I don't fully 'get' how Facebook works. I love Twitter, I've got over 1000 followers, I show cute pictures of my cat, I use it to chat about games especially when I'm not up to blogging. It is quick and easy for me to check Twitter, unlike Facebook.You can find me on Twitter in the menu to the right of this post, or click here to follow me, I'm Nayuleska.

This is the one bird in my life who doesn't have an anime name.

I know that I could download a Facebook app to my tablet (non smart-phone owner here), but I don't want to. I don't look at it, or really at Twitter to check what friends and other people I follow are doing. I email friends for that info. I have such a limited amount of energy each day I don't want to spend it idling through social media that invariable involves politics/the news which I do my best to minimise exposure to because it is the same depressing things, and I hear it often enough since my family like watching it daily. 

I may eventually get an Instagram account because in principle it seems a bit like Twitter, but for now I don't plan to. I won't be closing my Facebook account down, as it can be useful to have and is the only way I message family in another country since it's easier than email and I refuse point blank to get WhatsApp or whatever it is called. I live extremely happily without using many apps, and I've no intention of doing so simply because so many people think it is something I should be doing. I'm happy focusing on Twitter. It is a chore to post the same thing to several different apps, which is why I used Hootsuite. Unfortunately changes to both Twitter and Facebook policies means multiple posts can't be put  up at the same time. I do understand why, I think it's to reduce spamming people with ads and stuff, it makes it less convenient for me. 

I do go on Reddit sometimes, but that doesn't feel like the same type of social media as Twitter and Facebook so I'm not including it. 

I do need to catch up on Tweeting my posts, I will probably do that in batches classed by genre (mostly book reviews, but different genres of books), but what I'm saying is I'm not going into increase my use of Facebook at all. I'm sticking with what works and is easiest for me, which happens to be Twitter. Now you know why I'm quieter on Facebook, why I prefer Twitter, and why I don't use other social media. I'd love to hear if you don't use social media much, if you mostly post and only browse occasionally. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think of my ideas, creation, and ramblings!