Monday, 10 August 2015

Nayu's Craft Time #54 Yays, nays and oops

Should be almost anything but we can skip past that. Would love to know what your superpower is!
This is a short post since I've had lunch with friends so need to rest up. I prefer to say the less positive news first. I'm awaiting 3 of 4 crochet/knitting books for baby booties - sadly the one which came wasn't what I wanted. I didn't like the style of most of the booties, and some were sewn which isn't what I'm after. This morning I posted it back at my local cornershop - love the Collect service Amazon provides! Saves queuing at the post office. 

So pretty but not quite right for me.

That's the nay over with. The oops is to do with a project I'm working on. I've been adding to it as I go along, but it was only yesterday when I got it out to take a photo for a weekly post on Nayu's Reading Corner that I noticed the difference in colour of the newer squares. Turns out there can be a huge difference between dye lots of the same yarn. 
If I don't look at it, it might just disappear and go back to as it should be. I hope...
 Here's an explanation of a dye lot from Wikipedia (The info is correct & I'm only using it because it explains it better than I can with a tired brain) 

A dye lot is a record taken during the dyeing of yarn to identify yarn that received its coloration in the same vat at the same time. Yarn manufacturers assign each lot a unique identification number and stamp it on the label before shipping. Slight differences in temperature, dyeing time, and other factors can result in different shades of the same color between different dye lots of otherwise identical production. Although the component elements of a dye lot number are of interest only for internal business recordkeeping, retail yarn consumers have an interest in ensuring that they purchase a given color of yarn from identical dye lots.

In my case it's brightness and distribution of the colours. Big oopsie. I have a plan 2, which will work the newer yarn in. I don't have enough to start from scratch and it's not a project I'm going to scrap so I'm making do with what I've got. Lesson learnt! 

This picture is a clue for what I'm saying next
Finally on to the yays! My new, pretty and short knitting needles arrived! Reason behind the needles is my coming soon baby booties and hats range.  Photos will be up soon - all my devices with cameras are out of battery, but trust me when I say they are pretty! Sort of wish that each pair could have been a similar shade (1 needle is much lighter than the rest) but that doesn't matter, they are small and perfect for making baby booties and hats, which is all I really need. 
First trial baby booties!

The final part of this post is an announcement which I'm really excited about. To get uniformity across this blog, my Etsy shop, and social media I'm currently looking into getting a funky design especially for Nayu's Crochet Dreams. While I'd like to have a completely custom made one it's currently not in my budget, but let me say that the options available are proving difficult to choose beetween as they are all so pretty! I'm hoping to start finalising what I'd like by the end of this week, so keep watching this space! 

Right, it's time for me to whizz through emails, social media, then get crocheting! Have a good rest of the day and I'll see you tomorrow with knitting needle pics and more project updates. 
So very true!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think of my ideas, creation, and ramblings!